Here’s a quick look at the Facebook applications I’ve tried on my profile, the ones I’ve kept and the ones I’ve disabled.
I removed links below the profile for Del.icio.us, Feed friend, and Where I’ve been.
- Word-A-Day, Zoho Online Office, – just didn’t use
- Questions — would more likely use this on LinkedIn, not Facebook
- Flashcards and FC Test – developer seems to be off on other things, and until there’s a search function it seems minimally useful
- Facebook Basics
- Ads and Pages
- I am a Fan of (like groups for pages)
- The Wall
- Information I provide
- Notes – miniblog items and imports of this information stream
- Posted Items – links that I want to highlight
- Flickr Badge – photos I post on Flickr rather than Facebook
- Wordbook – import of the branch news
- Virtual Bookshelf – not used very much
- Where I’ve Been – not used very much
- Information I find that might be of interest to others
- Feed Friend RSS – primarily AAUW related RSS feeds
- del.icio.us – primarily items tagged aauwtech
- SlideShare (for slide shows written by others; I tend to post my own slides elsewhere)
- Fundraising applications
- Change.org – campaign based. Useful for linking nonprofits to a “change” to educate the change supporters about the mission and capacities of the nonprofit.
- Changing the Present – campaigns linked to a specific nonprofit. Good for micro-payments to honor a friend or for a group to collaborate to raise a specific (usually not very large) sum. Seems well matched as a substitute for secret Santa gatherings — at least for groups that are just too serious for such frivolity as Dollar Store gifts.
- Causes – campaigns linked to specific nonprofit. There’s no AAUW presence, and it’s not clear the volunteers are empowered to create one.
- Social Networking applications
- Introductions – allows me to introduce one friend to another
- Top Groups – provides quick links to my most used groups (but has even less information about recent updates than the standard Groups application)
- Interactive Friends Graph – works with Introductions to visualize friends who don’t yet connect
- Very few apps work on pages. How to find good ones there is a challenge. In particular would like to use the notes feature, particularly if enabled to import a blog.
- A simple training app like Flashcards would be helpful